Friday 13 December 2013

Allie speaks up- December

Shopping in Hantsport

I live in Hantsport and I like to support local business and shop in Town whenever I can.   When I first moved to Hantsport I was pleased to see that there was a Tim Horton’s near by.  For some time, I had to have help to get into and out of the Hantsport Tim Horton’s as they did not have an automatic door.  I wrote a letter to the head office asking them to put in an automatic door.  I found out later that the local owner was surprised to find out that the accessible was not put in at the time of construction. 
I was very pleased when this situation was resolved and now I can come and go independently.  I feel strongly that it is good to let owners know when things are not properly done for accessibility.

I visit the SaveEasy, our only grocery store, quite frequently that does not have accessible doors.  There is a sign on the outside of the door that tells customers to ask for assistance, however, if you are stuck outside there is no way to ask for help to get in.  At the moment this store is undergoing renovation.  It looks very good and there are many excellent changes inside.  Even the outside has been painted and looks good but I am wondering if they have considered putting an automatic door in while they are under construction.  I plan to ask about this and if you would like to have more accessible doors, I hope you will ask too.

I enjoy going to the Pharmasave and use it as my regular drugstore.  It has a good ramp and an automatic door but when you get inside it is often hard to get around in my wheelchair.  The staff is always helpful when the aisle is blocked but it would be so much better if it wasn’t so crowded and I could get around on my own.
I realize that they don’t have a lot of room for their new merchandise but there are many seniors who go there with walkers and canes who also have problems getting around.  I have had to remind the staff quite often to put the automatic door on.  Paying attention to their customers is very important.

The local Home Hardware has a level door with a lever handle which is very easy to use.  I like to go in there to see what is new and also to get supplies.  Often the aisles are difficult to navigate but they are improving.  Recently, I have noticed that they are getting better and the staff is always very helpful. 

Hantsport Pizzeria has always been inaccessible and to this day it remains the same.  This is very frustrating and awkward.  I understand the difficulty to achieve an accessible entrance in this case but I wish someone would think of a solution.

I like shopping in Hantsport and I am glad that the staff in all our stores is so helpful.

Look forward to my email next month.  

Allie

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather