Thursday 25 July 2013

Parking snarl at post office


Hi Heather:
I was somewhat taken aback today when I went to the Post Office to get my mail.  There were several parking spots painted in orange as "no parking" zones.  In fact, there was only one free parking space on each side of  William Street where the P. O. Is located.  I soon found out the reason. 
This was done, according to the information I received from the Town Office,  to facilitate large trucks using the small extension coming  up from or going toward  the old train station building.  I reasoned that there are probably a couple of hundred people that use the post office daily, while admittedly guessing, and only one or two trucks that use the extension road in the same period of time.  So, to put it mildly, the inconvenience of many (post office clients) has been brought on for the convenience of a very few (truckers).
I called the town office and they told me they had had a number of complaints, not all of them friendly, but that the decision to create the parking ban was a provincial matter.
I then called the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure and registered my concerns to that department through a secretary.  I am awaiting some feedback on this issue.
I am not aware of any accidents that have ever occurred at this small intersection and I realize that it is probably a tricky area for large trucks to maneuver about when entering or exiting the area.  But on the basis of the whole picture, I feel the clients going to the post office have been dealt an unfair blow.  I believe the provincial department has made a most ill-advised decision here and that many people, particularly the elderly  will find this whole arrangement not only tremendously inconvenient, but also somewhat dangerous, particularly in the winter months.
Paul Young

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather