Tuesday 9 July 2013

EDITORIAL: The town's current dilemma.

Never have so many hands been stretched out for so much money from such empty pockets.
(With apologies to Sir Winston Churchill for my mangling of his statement.)

The school board is asking the town to pay for the renovations and upkeep of the public library when it is moved this summer. And the town needs to give an answer asap.

This is a dilemma facing Hantsport Town Council. It is time sensitive.
  • Some town and area residents want to save the Red Barn.
  • Some town and area residents want to save or rebuild the swimming pool.
  • Some town and area residents want the town to have its own public library.
Which of these three worthwhile projects will Council support?

When I wear my hat as an historian, I can be horrified when an old building such as the Red Barn, with  is demolished.

But when I wear my hat as a  realist,  it becomes a question of dollars and cents.

Mayor Zwicker  said a few days ago that we need the facts and the figures. He was speaking about the costs the town may face to pay to remodel part of the school for the public library. But it should apply equally to all three projects. A good friend of mine supports the pool. When she was growing up, she practically lived at HMCC and swam every day. And she wants the new R.A. Jodrey Pool  to be available for her grandchildren. Another is wants the Red Barn to remain. 

I do not have the facts and figures. Although I am known as an advocate for the public library, I believe I am objective in my answer to the dilemma.

The town needs its public library. 

Why? The library will be open every week of every year. People are reading. The figures available through the regional system prove it. Libraries are no longer just books. Look at the schedule of events at our library this summer. There is something to appeal to every age group and interest. Libraries can become community centres. Look at regional library's website and see what other towns are doing. They are limited only by our imagination. A town needs its own library within walking distance for children, students, and adults.

Where?  Scotia Investments has two apparently under-utilized building in town - one on William Street and one on the corner of William and Main. Perhaps it will rent the town a building with a 25 year lease for the R.A. Jodrey Public Library.

I would like to hear from you. Which one should the town support? And why? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather