Friday 31 January 2014

Reply to: HMCC meetings & the public

Dear Editor,
I would like to respond to the posted comments from Town Council concerning HMCC Board meetings.
I believe the Council's discussion of HMCC Board meetings not being open to the public is the result of an unfortunate incident with Mayor Zwicker who arrived at an HMCC Board meeting without prior notice and was informed by the Chair that the meeting was not open to the public.  However, he was not asked to leave but was welcomed and invited to speak - if he had come for that purpose.  He did not address the meeting however he did remain.  Later in the week we met and I apologized for any embarrassment that I may have caused.  Mayor Zwicker informed me at this was not the way things were done in the past.
I explained that we do not run our regular Board meetings as open meetings.  This is according to our by-laws, Robert's Rules of Order and is standard practice for Boards of Directors.  I am aware that in the past HMCC presidents have conducted Board business differently but our Board requires prior notice from non-members who wish to make a presentation to the Board.  This is not "trying to hide something" but rather using our time to address our agenda and get our work done.
While I support the right of Councillors to discuss any subject they choose at their public meetings, I would also like to point out that Council has three of its members who sit on the HMCC Board where they may address any issues pertaining to HMCC business.

Town Council and the HMCC have been working together to provide opportunities for the community for many years.  I hope this cooperative spirit will continue and that there will be understanding that a volunteer Board of Directors does not operate under the same rules as an elected municipal council but both deserve respect. Lorraine McQueen, HMCC President

(also posted as a response to the Jan. 29 post). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather