Saturday 31 January 2015

BOBCAT SPOTTED FRIDAY

General area on north side of Avon Street Extension.

The tracks led from the bottom right corner across the ice to the area under the old fruit trees.

No, it wasn't there at 4:30 PM January 30 but it was there around 9 AM that day.
On Friday morning, I was enjoying my walk. The frost covering the branches of the trees glittered in the sun. 
As I walked down Avon Street Extension, I looked to my left ( see pic for approximate location) and stopped. I saw what appeared to be a medium- size rock on the ground in a cleaning. The rock was rectangular in shape. Close beside it and on its left was a smaller round rock. 

I stopped and stared at it. Could it be an animal?  I looked to the right and could see tracks leading from the area near the culvert to the two rocks. I believe it was either a bobcat or a lynx. It wasn't lying completely down but perhaps resting on a shoulder and staring at the road. It was sunning itself.

I returned a few hours later and both rocks were gone. 

It is now Saturday morning. I called Harley Frizzell a few minutes ago. He lives directly across from the site to see if he was noticed a bobcat or a lynx or seen tracks. He hadn't, but he had gone over to the Gypsum shed the afternoon when I reported seeing the animal in the tree.

He was there when a member of Lands and Forests was there. Harley said L&F identified it as a bobcat. He was going to return and shoot it. It is unusual to see a bobcat in such an area. They prefer deep woods. It could be sick or starving. Wild animals can be dangerous.  

Conclusion: Look - maybe photograph - but beware. They were here long before we were!







2 comments:

  1. Wonder why L & F would come back and shoot it they don't really create a problem like a coyote does that's crazy.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    I wonder if it's the same one from a few weeks ago? Can't they just shoot it with a tranquilizer gun and relocate it?

    Cheers,

    Martin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather