Friday 3 June 2016

Ticks are everywhere.




"I got this tick bite out back 4-5 yrs. ago.  Was treated for Lyme - 6 weeks on antibiotics.   The bite can sometimes just leave a small red mark, but the advice is to see the Dr. if  one becomes embedded.

 I removed one from my husband when he came from fishing, this year, but the tentacle had to be removed at the hospital.  I believe if someone has a tick attached, the safe thing would be to go to the Dr. and have it assessed.

 The pics re: baby one at far right- some small a creature to cause the swelling and bull's eye rash eh?  Was stuck under my arm when I awoke.  It did get it from the backyard - so, everyone needs to be cautions.  I haven't had any ticks from our yard since." - Hantsport resident.

Another Hantsport resident found a tick on her leg after she had been shopping at a farm store in Coldbrook. She had walked a little on the indoor-outdoor carpet in her sock feet. The tick either came from the carpet or was in one of the boots she tried on.

If you find a tick on your body, a recent article in the Chronicle Herald suggested - "Use tweezers, as close to the body as possible to where the tick is imbedded in the skin and gently pull it straight out. Don't jerk, squeeze or pull the tick while you are pulling it out. Put the tick in a Ziplock bag and put it in the garbage.Once the tick is removed, wash the area with hot soapy water or hydrogen peroxide. It part of the tick breaks off under the skin, seek the help of your health care provider in pulling it out."  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather