Thursday 28 August 2014

Are you a Farley Mowat fan?

Farley Mowat
Photo  from Chrome

Farley Mowat saved my life more than 40 years ago. And gave me a new one.

One of my dreams had evaporated. I read his book, The Boat Who Wouldn't Float. Suddenly I had a goal. I had a week's holiday. And I booked a flight to St. John. I did't know anyone there but it seemed like a grand place to visit. And it was. I saw Roy Payne sing. And I met a Nova Scotian and eventually moved to the Annapolis Valley.

Farley was the enfant terrible - least one of them - of Canadian authors. Controversial. Opinionated. Humorous. And passionate. He died recently at a ripe old age. 

The members of the Book Club of the Hantsport Public Library decided to read his books. There were not enough multiple copies for each of us but Liz ordered a copy of every one of his books in the system. We each took one and we'll discuss them and Farley at our next meeting - Saturday, Sept. 6 (note correction) at 2 -3 PM.

Come and join us. Tell us about your favourite book or memory of Farley. I won't be there but my choice was Never Cry Wolf. The villain is the book was the Canadian government which blamed the mass slaughter of the caribou on the wolves. Farley was told by the native people and he saw for himself that the wolves attacked only the weak and the sick. They were actually culling the herd and making it stronger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will publish anonymous comments at my discretion.
-Heather